Tomic succumbs in second round
Bernard Tomic suffered a disappointing 6-4 6-1 6-3 loss to Santiago Giraldo in the second round of the French Open on Thursday.
While content with his progress on clay this season, Tomic was happy to leave the red dirt behind and head for greener pastures after bombing out with a flurry of unforced errors.
“I can’t wait to get on the grass,” the 2011 Wimbledon quarterfinalist said.
“It’s now time for me to play well. I’m very confident on grass.”
Tomic won seven matches on clay over the past two months – having only had one previous success in his entire three-year pro career – and is feeling upbeat before taking a week off and then warming up for a return to the All England Club with appearances at Eastbourne and Halle.
“Grass is my favourite surface and I believe this has helped me a lot, this claycourt run the last six weeks for my body,” the 19-year-old said.
“I’m very, very fit now … the one week I take off now and train for two weeks, I think when Wimbledon comes I’ll be ready.”
Tomic’s exit from Roland Garros, though, meant he failed to live up to his 25th seeding and he will be under pressure to defend a bundle of rankings points at Wimbledon after his charge last year to the quarters.
The loss also dashed hopes of a third-round showdown in Paris with Andy Murray.
“It always happens when you think of that match ahead of you – it comes back and bites you,” Tomic said.
“That’s why you’ve just got to focus on the players ahead of you.
“I knew today was going to be tough if I was going to win, but he actually played well and broke my momentum sort of and there wasn’t really a lot I could do.”